Thursday, December 4, 2008

Week #7, Thing #16-Wikis

Okay, so I love the idea of wikis. Collaboration, everyone can see others ideas, notes, ext, but my issue with them is that my students don't know what they are, nor how to use them. So, in comes the teachable moment. But the problem that I have with students is the critical thinking on their part. They want me to tell them what to write down, many of them are looking for the "I tell", "You regergitate" form of teaching. Having them shift gears is difficult, and at times I think they more frustrated and stop learning.

So that brings me to one of the wikis that we had to look at. The "Sample School Wiki" was amazing! I was blown away with the information that the kids had up there and their use of technology with the projects. I was blown away...did i say I was blown away? One of my many fears is that because we are in a smaller community, where you are likely to run into a person or two that you know at the store, my students lack that global thinking. Things are so familiar to them and a lot of them "think" they use technology, but only going to Youtube, and check their email, that I find It very difficult to get them outside that box and think on a larger scale. When I tried to use a Wiki in class, the response was, "why can't we just email you everything and you put it together?" The thing is, the kids are not lazy, they are scared of new things.
I went to a local public school in the area and I found those students to be very tech savy! So, what is the issue with my students? I haven't a clue!

Another wiki I likes was the teacherlibrian wiki. It seemed to have a lot of useful info, but some of the pages couldn't be found. Yet those pages that I did get to were very good and they had a lot of useful info. I fuled a few of them! :)

No comments: